Saturday, January 19, 2013

Adventures in Bartending!

A Tale of Two Shooters

Welcome friends!
It's the third Saturday of the month and that means it's time for a bartending adventure! As my bio says, I write shit and I talk shit, and I read shit, and I drink shit.

Today is the day that I celebrate drinking shit!

For Christmas my sexy-and-wonderful-and-generous-and-well-read boyfriend Brandon (follow him on twitter!) gave me an awesome bartender's guide, The Everything Bartender's Guide. With this book, I'm going to become the best fucking unlicensed bartender in the state of Texas! And once a month, I will share my adventures with YOU!

For my first adventure, I'm tackling a couple of shooters, chosen in part because they both use peach schnapps as their base, but mostly because of their colorful names: The Brain Hemorrhage and The Red-Headed Slut

Here they are!

The Brain Hemorrhage
This is an aptly-named drink, for starters. When I presented it to my victims friends their first reaction was: "Gross!" But it went down smooth. It tasted like you would imagine a diabetic's blood would taste. SWEET, in other words.

Here's the recipe:
1 ounce peach schnapps
1/4 ounce irish cream
1/4 ounce grenadine

The Red-Headed Slut
I much preferred this shooter. It's crisp, and somehow reminiscent of ice tea.
Here's the recipe:
1 ounce peach schnapps
1 ounce jagermeister
2 ounces cranberry juice

Bartending 101
A note on definitions: A shooter is much like a shot in that they're small amounts of liquid and are intended to be drunk in one gulp, but the two differ in one important respect. Shots contain only alcohol. They can be mixtures of alcohols, but they're only alcohols. Shooters also contain mixers.  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment