Monday, January 27, 2014

Adventures in Bartending: A BEVY OF BOOZEY DELIGHTS!!

With all that fiction writing nonsense in my last blog post, I bet you thought I'd forgotten how to drink, huh? Well allow me to lay your fears to rest with THIS post.

Today ladies and gents, I'm gonna show you some shots. What do they have in common? They all came from THE BIG BAD-ASS BOOK OF SHOTS, which my awesome boyfriend Brandon gave me for Christmas and which is the boozer's Bible. *Crosses self* Amen!

I went to the liquor store and bought a bunch of various boozes just so that I would have more on hand in case the mood struck me to make one of the many hilariously named shots from that book. I brought home white creme de cacao, irish cream, blue curacao, spiced rum, bourbon, and amaretto. And I broke the bottle of blue curacao the moment I returned home. So no, there won't be any pretty blue shots on display today. Sorry.

But there's plenty of booze left, so enjoy my selections!

M&M

Disclaimer! With this shot I cheated a little. The original recipe, shown below, calls for Frangelico. Now, Frangelico is a hazelnut liqueur that comes in an adorable monk-shaped bottle. It retails for $20-$40 bucks. Amaretto is also a hazelnut liqueur, but it comes in an ordinary bottle and retails for $6.50. I bought Amaretto. So there.

1 part Frangelico
1 part white creme de cacao
Pour ingredients into a glass neat (do not chill).



This shot was warm and creamy and chocolatey, much like its namesake. I thoroughly enjoyed it.


Alabama Slammer I

This is one of many versions of this famous shooter. It's one of three found in the BIG BAD-ASS BOOK OF SHOTS alone. Again, I had to modify the original recipe just a tad. I had no pineapple juice on hand, so none found its way into my shot glass.

1 part Southern Comfort
1 part amaretto
Splash of OJ
Splash of pineapple juice
Shake with ice and strain into a shot glass.



This shot was sweet and fruity and just delightful. Girly, but men should like it as well.


Chocolate Jizz

Who do YOU think I chose to try this shot? Probably because it combines liqueurs that combine two of my favorite flavors: chocolate and coffee. What were you thinking? Get your mind out of the gutter!

1 part white creme de cacao
1 part coffee liqueur
Shake with ice and strain into a shot glass.



This shot was just...okay. I really wanted to like it, but there just wasn't much pizazz. There really didn't seem to be a reason for the coffee liqueur to be included. The white creme de cacao I get. That provided the chocolate flavor referred to in the name. So that made the coffee liqueur the what? The jizz? Umm, no? Coffee liqueur is thin, not creamy or sticky or viscous. Not to mention it tastes like coffee. 

Maybe what this shot needs is a new name. How about Mocha Shot? 


Chocolate Sundae

Mmmm...look at it.

1 part Irish Cream
1 part white creme de cacao
1 part coffee liqueur
Layer in a shot glass. Top with whipped cream.




I enjoyed this shot. Look at it: it even looks like its namesake. How cute! But as it is supposed to be a layered shot I can't call mine a success, even if it was yummy and attractive. I make layered shots all the time, but for whatever reason I have a hard time when the drink includes Irish cream. It just doesn't want to play along! Damned IRA!

I'm gonna try this one again, though. Just watch me!


No comments:

Post a Comment